This document defines a high level roadmap for KubeEdge development.
The milestones defined in GitHub represent the most up-to-date plans.
KubeEdge 1.0 is our current stable branch. The roadmap below outlines new features that will be added to KubeEdge.
- Replace data exchange format between cloud and edge from json to protobuf.
- Support reliable message delivery from cloud to edge.
- Evaluate gRPC for cloud to edge communication.
- Support CSI for persistent storage (using PV/PVC/StorageClass) at edge.
- Support ingress at edge.
- Add admission-webhook based validation for device CRDs.
- Enhance performance and reliability of KubeEdge infrastructure.
- Upgrade Kubernetes dependencies in vendor to v1.15.
- Migrate to Go module for dependency management.
- Improve contributor experience by defining project governance policies, release process, membership rules etc.
- Improve the performance and e2e tests with more metrics and scenarios.
- Support edge-cloud communication using edgemesh.
- Add Layer 4 proxy support in edgemesh.
- Istio-based service mesh across Edge and Cloud where micro-services can communicate freely in the mesh.
- Enable function as a service at the Edge.
- Support more types of device protocols such as OPC-UA, Zigbee.
- Evaluate and enable much larger scale Edge clusters with thousands of Edge nodes and millions of devices.
- Enable intelligent scheduling of applications to large scale Edge clusters.
- Data management with support for ingestion of telemetry data and analytics at the edge.
- Security at the edge.
- Support for monitoring at the edge.