KubeEdge will provide the fundamental infrastructure and basic functionalities for IOT/Edge workload. This includes: - K8s Application deployment through kubectl from Cloud to Edge node(s) - K8s configmap, secret deployment through kubectl from Cloud to Edge node(s) and their applications in Pod - Bi-directional and multiplex network communication between Cloud and edge nodes - K8s Pod and Node status querying with kubectl at Cloud with data collected/reported from Edge - Edge node autonomy when its getting offline and recover post reconnection to Cloud - Device twin and MQTT protocol for IOT devices talking to Edge node
Release 2.0 and Future
- Build service mesh with KubeEdge and Istio
- Enable function as a service at Edge
- Support more types of device protocols to Edge node such as AMQP, BlueTooth, ZigBee, etc.
- Evaluate and enable super large scale of Edge clusters with thousands of Edge nodes and millions of devices
- Enable intelligent scheduling of apps. to large scale of Edge nodes